Saturday, September 13, 2008

Butter Skin with Custard Paste Mooncake







This is a good combination. :) The custard filling will not cause the pastry to be soft non soggy. I adapted Aunty Yochana's homemade custard filling from recipe 'Bird's Nest Custard Filling Snow Skin Mooncake'.

My custard filling seem to be dry. I suspect the problem could be lie on the egg as nowadays I paid the price of large egg but I get the size of a medium egg. 'Prices up, quantity shrink'. :(

So what I did with the custard, I blended them with some milk until soft bread crumb. The mixture must be soft to press together and shape into balls. As usual I prepared the filling a day ahead.


Recipe

Ingredients
Pastry
70g butter
20g shortening
60g icing sugar
40g egg
145g plain flour
20g custard powder
1/4tsp baking powder

Filling
360g custard paste

Steps:
Pastry:
1. Cream butter, shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg until well combined.
3. Sift flour, custard powder and baking powder together.
4. Fold in the flour mixture into the creamed butter to form a soft dough.
5. At this stage you may add in some milk if dough is too dry or add in some flour if dough is too wet.
6. Wrap the dough up and let it rest in the fridge for 20mins.

Filling:
1. Divide the custard paste into 9 portions of 40g each.
2. Shape them into balls.

Shaping:
1. Divide dough into 9 portions of 37g each.
2. Dust the surface, rolling pin and mould lightly with flour.
3. Roll out the dough, leave the centre slightly thicker than the edge.
4. Wrap the dough with the custard paste and seal the edges.
5. Press into the mould and plunge it out slowly.
6. Place it on a greased tray.
7. Brush with egg yolk and bake in a preheated oven 175C for 20-25mins. (1 egg yolk mix with 1tsp of water)
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice leh. I finished the whole mooncake on my own. It is as good as the custard mooncake I bought from concord hotel a few years back.

Happy Flour said...

Hi laychoo,

Thanks, glad that you like it.

SCP said...

Hi , i am 1 of your fan . Can i ask you smt ? I love all your mooncake mould so much , specially those for agar-agar mooncake . Could you please tell me where can I buy it ( I'm in Singapore ) . Thank you so much for sharing a lot of great recipes and wait for your reply .

Happy Flour said...

Hi SCP,

You can buy those mooncake agar-agar mould from Sun Lik or Kitchen Capers.

SCP said...

Thks for your fast reply but sorry to trouble you again . could you pse tell me where is Sun lik and Kitchen capers ? Thks once again .

Happy Flour said...

Hi SCP,

No problem. You can check out both their address on the internet. They have map on where is their shop location which it easier for you.

vicky2074 said...

Hi Happy Flour,

I really love ur mooncake recipes...=D and i intend to make 1 of them (or more)...but is it all right to substitute shortening with butter? cos i don't want to spend more money to buy shortening since butter is always available in the fridge...

one more thing is...i don't have the mould with me!! that's bcos i din buy it from m'sia (i'm m'sian but currently in sydney...)...that's so sad so mayb i'll be making...mooncake without any craving on the surface...T.T is that all right as well?

Happy Flour said...

Hi Vicky2074,

If you replace shortening with butter, the pastry skin will be like tart pastry skin.

If you don't have the mould, just roll it into ball flat slightly, egg wash the skin, sprinkle some sesame seed on the surface and bake it.

Jen said...

Hi this looks really yummy and I would love to try this! Can I ask how did you make the custard paste or can it be bought somewhere? Thanks.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Jen,

I made my own custard paste.

vicky2074 said...

Hi Happy Flour,

I can't find the custard paste recipe from Aunty Yochana's blog...Could you send me the link? Thanks for that!

By the way, where's Sun Lik?

Regards
vicky

Happy Flour said...

Hi Vicky 2074,

You can find it at Aunty Yochana blog under Cake Index- mooncake 'Birs's Nest Custard Filling Snow Skin Mooncake'.

You can find Sun Lik address and map on the internet. Just type Sun Lik and search.

Anonymous said...

Hi, need your help here... Just baked a batch. Taste good but the skin went out of shape and break. Any tips on how to rectify this??

Happy Flour said...

Hi Anonymous,

Should be your oven is too hot. The pastry should be soft but not stick or too dry and don't use too much flour during wrapping.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for your advise, Happy Flour. Did a few tweaks... 1. Made a flatter mooncake. 2. Chill the mooncake for an hour before baking. 3. Reduce the baking temperature. It now works.. Thanks a lot!!!